About Project Rigel
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment has always been a challenge for Microsoft Lync\SFB. There are many features which are either not supported, or supported but with additional requirements. How do we handle the media packet, is the greatest question in the VDI Setup. Lync VDI plug-ins help the media packets to offload from the virtual machine to the local one. Thus, enabling the local network to be used for voice and video. Thus, enhancing the voice and video experience of a Lync\Skype user.
About Lync VDI plug-ins
One has to perform following steps to prepare the environment for the Lync VDI plug-in.
- Ensure that EnableMediaRedirection (via Lync\SFB client policy) is set to TRUE for all VDI users.
- On the data centre computer, install the Lync 2013 client on all virtual machines.
- On the local computers, install the Lync VDI plug-in and an additional receiver component from VDI vendor.
- Launch Lync\Skype on virtual machine, enter your credentials when prompted, select Save Password, then click OK.
- The Skype for Business (Lync) status bar (green check mark in bottom right corner) will update when you have successfully completed the above steps.
In a nutshell, the VDI solution included a Citrix Receiver for Windows plug-in called the VDI Plug-in.The Microsoft VDI Plug-in packages the Skype/Lync client as a headless plug-in to the Citrix Receiver. The VDI Plug-in is suitable for customers using the Skype for Business 2015 or Lync 2013 client exclusively with Windows devices (Windows 7, WES 7, Windows 8.x or Windows 10 IoT) and delivering the Skype or Lync client as part of a full virtual desktop solution.
HDX RealTime Optimization Pack & Its Features
Recently, Citrix and Microsoft collabored to deliver an enhanced solution for VDI setup. The solution, HDX RealTime Optimization Pack, promises to provide greater and scalable ioptions to the Lync\SFB customers. These are the salient features of HDX RealTime Optimization Pack;
- Supports Skype for Business Licensed Clients
- Citrix XenApp or XenDesktop supported
- SfB On-Premises and Online supported
- Broad range of devices and OS supported, including Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Improved VDI/RDS server scalability
Limitations of HDX RealTime Optimization Pack
The HDX solution still has following limitations although;
- Recording not supported
- Gallery view not supported
- Federation with Skype not supported
- No QoE
- No location services
Issues fixed in HDX RealTime Optimization Pack 2.0.100 : http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/hdx-optimization/2-0/about/fixed-issues.html
Known issues of HDX RealTime Optimization Pack 2.0.100 : http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/hdx-optimization/2-0/about/hdx-realtime-optimization-pack-known-issues.html
XenDesktop, XenApp and Citrix Receiver Support for Microsoft’s VDI Plug-in for Skype for Business and Lync : http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX138408
Deployment Details for the Lync VDI Plug-inz : http://i1.blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2013/09/23/deployment-details-for-lync-vdi-plugin.aspx