How to check Active Directory preparation for Skype For Business (SFB) server install
As part of SFB installation, you need to ensure that the Active directory is prepared successfully. Otherwise SFB wouldn’t install and function properly. This article explains the methods (following steps) to check AD preparation.
- Is the schema prepared?
- Is the forest prepared?
- Verify replication of the global catalog after ForestPrep
- Is the domain prepared?
- Do users have administrative access to the SFB Control Panel?
- How to confirm if Active Directory is prepared?
Is the schema prepared?
- Log on to the domain controller for the domain.
- Open ADSI Edit from the Tools drop-down menu in Server Manager.
- On the Action menu, click Connect to.
- In the Connection Settings dialog box under Select a well known Naming Context, select Schema, and then click OK.
- Under the schema container, search for CN=ms-RTC-SIP-SchemaVersion. If this object exists, and the value of the rangeUpper attribute is 1150 and the value of the rangeLowerattribute is 3, the schema was successfully updated and replicated.
Is the forest prepared?
- Click Skype for Business Server Management Shell from the Apps page to launch PowerShell.
- Type the command Get-CsAdForest, and press Enter.
- If the result is LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_READY, the forest has successfully been prepared, as shown in the figure.
Verify replication of the global catalog after ForestPrep
- On a domain controller (preferably in a remote site from the other domain controllers), in the forest where the Forest Preparation was run, open Active Directory Users and Computers.
- In Active Directory Users and Computers, expand the domain name of your forest or a child domain.
- Click the Users container on the left side pane, and look for the Universal group CsAdministrator in the right side pane. If CsAdministrator (among other new Universal groups that begin with Cs) is present, Active Directory replication has been successful.
- If the groups are not yet present, you can force the replication, or wait 15 minutes and refresh the right side pane. When the groups are present, replication is complete.
Is the domain prepared?
- Run following command Get-CsAdDomain -Domain DOMAIN_NAME -GlobalSettingsDomainController DC_FQDN
- If the result is LC_DOMAINSETTINGS_STATE_READY, the domain has successfully replicated.
Do users have administrative access to the SFB Control Panel
Log on as a member of the Domain Admins group or the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group.
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers, expand your domain, click the Users container, right-click CSAdministrator, and choose Properties.
- In CSAdministrator Properties, click the Members tab.
- On the Members tab, click Add. In Select Users, Contacts, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups, locate the Enter the object names to select. Type the user name(s) or group name(s) to add to the group CSAdministrators. Click OK.
- On the Members tab, confirm that the users or groups that you selected are present. Click OK.
How to confirm if Active Directory is prepared?
Log on as an admin on a computer having SFB server components installed.
Open Skype for Business Server Deployment Wizard.
There should be green check mark below Prepare Active Directory.